Five years later, September 11, 2001 continues to have a strong influence on the air travel industry. Some airlines did not survive the financial wreckage immediately after 9/11 - most laid off workers, and it seemed that other terrorist plots were uncovered or thwarted in an age of security alerts.
Most recently, the foiled terrorist plot at London Heathrow served as a reminder that air travel is still a target of terrorism. Airport security screening is even more vigilant as a result.
Five years later, some airlines are still on a path to financial recovery. CNN Money reports on the continuing money struggles that can be linked to 9/11 to at least some degree.
The Airline Pilots Association has their own take on safety and security since 9/11, as documented in a press release at Yahoo Finance News.
Other 9/11 blog posts remembering the events five years later:
- My own experience of 9/11
- Films about 9/11
- The flights of 9/11
- New York City - memorial events
- Washington D.C. - memorial events
- United 93 - memorial events
- Politics and 9/11
- CTV reports Rice visits Canada for five year anniversary of September 11th, and includes details of the flights that were diverted to Canada on 9/11.