Bearing this in mind, here are some of the features of checking in from the comfort of your mouse and keyboard:
Advantages for the passenger
- Check-in before you get to the airport. Usually between 12 and 24 hours before flight departure.
- Print boarding pass ahead of time saving you time at the airport. Some airlines also offer the option of downloading your boarding pass to a PDA such as a Blackberry.
- Ability to change/confirm your seat assignment when available, thus a better chance at getting a seat number before you are even at the airport if you didn't have one already pre-reserved.
- Some airlines offer bonus frequent flyer miles.
- Your frequent flyer number (or other login information as outlined by the airline you are using such as a the credit card that was used to pay for the ticket).
- An airline electronic ticket that is paid for.
- A printer to print the boarding pass, or a PDA (only offered on a few airlines)to download the boarding pass to. Alternatively, you can have the boarding pass reprinted at check-in, or a self-serve kiosk.
Check-in Online Now
Some of the airlines offering online check-in are: