Ask.com is well known as a place to ask questions about virtually any topic. Ask.com compiled a list of their most frequent air travel questions, and supplied answers, it made for a fun read. I agree with most of their answers, but differ on a few - in those instances my answer is italicized and follows Ask.com's reply.
So, in order as provided by Ask.com, here are the 10 most popular air travel questions...
1. What is the world’s best airport?
"According to Skytrax, Singapore Changi Airport is the World's Best Airport of 2010."
Changi is a pretty relaxed, full-service airport. There are lots of amenities for travelers, and one of the really nice things is not only do they provide free WiFi, but also computers to use the internet for free in public areas of the airport. Nice touches like that make it very popular with passengers.
2. Where can I find cheap airline tickets?
"Expedia, Priceline and AskDeals usually offer some great deals. Or, if you’re feeling lucky, flying standby can be a great way to save some cash!"
Standby is mostly a thing of the past, and usually limited to airline/travel industry employees and sometimes students, so it just isn't a possibility for most passengers. Courier flights are an option, but tend to be much harder to secure a deal these days. I'd add other aggregators like Kayak and Bing, and also for finding both published and unpublished fares, sites like Airfare Watchdog.
3. When is the best time to buy an airline ticket?
"To get the best price on airline tickets, some travel experts advise you to buy them right around 4 months before you plan to travel, and to look for good deals in the early part of the week."
Mid-week is often a time when seat sales come out, other than that, it's a bit of a guessing game. 4-6 months ahead of time is usually a safe bet except for peak travel periods like late December / New Years. A few airlines offer twares (quick, cheap specials on Twitter), most often on Mondays and Tuesdays.
4. What is the size limit for carry on luggage?"Airlines all have different size restrictions for carry-on luggage."
5. What can’t I carry on an airplane?"Currently, the TSA forbids the following items in carry-on luggage: Knives or sharp objects, most sporting goods, firearms, tools larger than seven inches, explosive materials, self defense items, flammable items, and most liquids of more than 100 ml."
6. How many bags can I check at the airport?"Carry-on and checked baggage policy varies by airline."
7. What is the best airport to use for Disneyland?
"John Wayne/Orange County Airport (SNA) is 14 miles from Disneyland , closer than other major airports."
It may be farther away, but Los Angeles International (LAX) serves more destinations and often has more competitive fares and cheaper car rentals. So check both.
8. What kind of food can you bring on an airplane?
"You can bring any solid food onto an airplane, but not liquid or gel foods like creamy dips or cheeses, sauce, syrup, dressing, soup, gravy or drinks."
The rule of thumb is if you buy it after airport security, you can bring it on board. So if your preferred coffee is not inflight, you can buy it after security and bring it on board.
9. What is the busiest airport in the world?
"According to Airports Council International, the world's busiest airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in Atlanta , Georgia."
10. How much does a flight attendant make?
"The national average is $42,000, but can vary based on location and experience."